+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default King of Sixes - Shahed Afridi

By Deeva

When The Editor KW asked if I would be willing to write something on Shahid Afridi, I told him I would love too. While I was promising the him this, I was googling Shahid Afridi, thinking he was some singer or actor. When the results pulled up to my dismay, I found different. This is great I thought to myself, I know diddlysquat about cricket and nothing of Shahid Afridi, but I had already made a promise, so I opened up a new word pad document and wrote Shahid Afridi at the top of the page and stared at it. A promise is a promise and a Pakhtun promise is even more binding.

As always, I turned to my best friends and research assistant’s google and wikipedia.

I googled for a picture of him and found him easy on the eyes in the way friendly and jovial people usually are, but through experience I have learnt that pictures can be very deceiving. So, I typed in bio and found that at 5ft 11, he would probably be hard to miss in Karachi where he owns a car dealership.

Next I pulled up his stats and something that caught my eye were the words “sex scandal”. “Yikes” that was scary since he was only 20 at the time. “Hey” I said to myself, “give the guy a chance you know diddlysquat about him,” then I came across the information that he listens to Backstreet boys, Spice Girls, and Ricky Martin, well my kids listen to them so probably he is ok. Well how bad can someone be if their favorite song is “Quit playing games with my heart.” Hey, the kid likes light music and folk songs, which was definitely a positive point so I read on. (He is married now; his hanky panky days are probably over.) His first love was his parents “oh, how sweet.”

The more I found out about this guy the more I liked him, yet I still cannot make sense of the game. The post therefore concentrates more on his personal life than on his game point averages (or is that a basket ball term).

Shahid Afridi (or Shah as his friends and family call him) was born March 1 1980, in Khyber Agency. His parents saw fit to bestow him with the name Sahibzaha Mohammad Shahid Khan Afridi (now that is a mouthful, how dare my son complain that his name is too long). Coming from a big family he has to share his parents with 9 other siblings (I have not been able to verify if he is in the 9th or he makes No.10.)

I found that his favorite colors are Blue, White and Red (I wonder whether it has anything to do with the American flag) and likes orange juice to drink and chicken biryani, kheer and Ice cream and definitely mangos. He is usually seen wearing tees and jeans. Then there is the information of his dressing-room clash with Younis Khan at Barbados. Nevertheless, he is human and therefore we should forgive him, imagine having to share a dressing room and that too with a man.

After the incredible performance of Shahid Afridi in the test matches against the West Indies and Indian cricket teams, the Pakistan Sports Forum (PSF) decided to honor our Pakhtun brother Shahid Afridi on June 25th at Pearl Continental Hotel.

There was a big bash thrown for Shahid Afridi where many former and recent sports stars were shining bright, who showered high praise on him. Among those notably present were squash legend Jehangir Khan, hockey olympian Islahuddin, cricketers Zaheer Abbas, Iqbal Qasim and Rashid Khan.

Key speakers highlighted Afridi’s talent and personality. They were unanimous of the view that playing against Shahid, any world-class bowler feels uneasy facing him, whether it is the Australian Bradley or Anil Kumble of India. They also agreed that Afridi is without a doubt “The King OF Sixes”, even his miss-hits cross the playing field boundary, such powerful hitters are a rarity in the world of cricket.

Iqbal Qasim, member of the cricket selection committee and a former test spinner while praising Afridi said that after Afridi’s excellent performance the selection committee could not think of any game without Shahid Afridi being on the team. Shahid has proved himself as the necessary figure for both test and one-day cricket.

Squash legend Jehangir Khan said that though Afridi is a cricket player, he has inspired the players and experts of other fields too. Jehangir described him as a powerful all-rounder of our time. He further said that if such a player would enter the court of squash, all of our records would be in stack.

Zaheer Abbas, (the Asian Bridman, who made runs like a machine in his time), heaped praise on Afridi at this occasion, saying that he had never seen such an energetic and fast scoring batsman. Playing against any country, Zaheer added, if Afridi could manage to stay intact at crease for ten to fifteen minutes would always mean bad luck for the opponent team.

Hockey legend Islahuddin called Shahid a GHAZABNAK cricketer of today's cricket world and the fastest hit man, and that is why Sunil Gavaskar once said that if Afridi stays on crease for twenty overs, the captain of the opposition team starts praying for Shahid's departure.

Muneer Hussain, president of KCCA said that he was proud to say that Afridi had started his cricket in front of him and from the KCCA's playground had reached the top of international cricket.

It seems that our charismatic all-rounder and “King of Sixes” Shahid Afridi is finally getting the recognition he most certainly deserves for his outstanding performances. In the past, Shahid’s reputation for lack of patience while batting has cost him the ability to command a regular place on the Pakistan team. Afridi’s career has been clouded with controversy due to his fights with fellow cricketers and sex scandals.

All apart, he is highly praised for his game in the cricket community. His bowling style is the Right Arm Leg Spin and his batting style is Right Hand. Afridi has played for Karachi Cricket Association, Habib Bank Limited, Leicestershire, and Pakistan.

Shahid made his ODI debut on October 2, 1996 against Kenya at Nairobi and his Test debut on October 22, 1998 against Australia at Karachi. He has scored over 4,500 ODI runs at a strike rate of more than 107 runs per 100 balls, and has taken over 160 ODI wickets. Shahid holds the record for scoring the fastest century (which he scored in 37 balls) in One Day Internationals and shares the record for the second fastest century (on 45 balls) in One Day Internationals with Brian Lara. Shahid Afridi is one of Pakistan's greatest all rounders, he has a higher strike rate than any batsman in the world.

It is said that he hits the ball with such a ferocity that “Even the best of fielders with strong palms would think twice before laying their hands on the ball.” Moreover, he is best known for his googlys. (Googly is a delivery by a right arm spin bowler, which to a right hand batsman appears as if it will spin from leg to off, however, spins in the opposite direction).

Till recently Afridi was the 8th batsman, but now, with the blessings of Captain Inzimamul Haq, he is playing a big role in all the one day internationals and test series. Afridi, with his aggressive style, brings up the game to the point where his fellow batsmen only need to make an easy average of six runs for an easy victory.

Being the all-rounder that Afridi is, his success even extends to fielding; it is hard to make runs when Afridi is on the field. He made it into the history books while playing against India in this latest matches, it is his own style that makes him such an exceptional player, especially when Gangolee was struck bold out is an excellent example. This was a definite wide ball but it turned Gangolee into a confused mess.
    What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. Mother Theresa

Default Awaad's comments

Awaad Ahad Khan added

When KhyberWatch assigned me to read through the article on Shahid Afridi, I thought maybe it would need some corrections as it was written by someone who didn’t have any knowledge of cricket or Shahid Afridi, but when I read the article, I was so amused, I didn’t feel that it needed any corrections. Rather just a few additions. Hence I decided to keep the article as it is and make my additions in the end.

I have the honor of meeting Shahid Afridi on a number of occasions and one thing I can not help notice about him is his firm grip when he shakes your hand. He is no doubt a very strong individual, I would know because I am 6’1 tall and weigh about 220 pounds and I always considered my self as strong. Afridi was stronger. Even his bat is heavier then an average bat. When I asked him why he batted with such a heavy bat he answered smilingly “I need a strong bat to hit the ball harder”. I corrected him by saying “I asked why a heavy bat, not strong bat”. He thought for a while and then stated that he didn’t think his bat was heavy. I laughed and thought “how would you know?”

Many people claim that Afridi is an impatient player, but you have to meet him to know him. He is not impatient. He is just full of energy and a determined individual. He is like a typical Pushtoon. He sees something, he wants it, he goes for it. He stated in one of our meetings in Peshawar that he started every game with this determination that he would score a 50 or perhaps a 100. And his pace of speak is a good give away that he is full of energy.

As an individual, Afridi is a typical man. He wants to have fun. He wants to be popular and he wants to make a name for himself. He has his good days and bad days. Cricket is more than a profession for him. He enjoys the game and like any individual, he has his moods. Even during the game. He especially likes taking wickets. Of course batting has its advantages. But the excitement of taking a wicket is no doubt intense for him.

The most recent meeting I had with Afridi was when he returned from India. You could see the joy on his face. There was so much he wanted to speak about but the crowd wouldn’t let him. When asked if he wanted to Captain the Pakistani Cricket team he smiled and replied “It would be an honor”. One thing obvious about Afridi is that he is not good at bluffing. His answer was diplomatic but his expressions were that he would love to be a Captain. And who wouldn’t be? So like any other man, Afridi has his dreams. His one dream, which he openly claims, is to win the world cup.

Imran Khan once said about Afridi that every team needs a player like him. He has the potential of destroying the opposition. He takes wickets, he takes catches and he scores runs. And even if he doesn’t score much runs, he doesn’t waste balls.

Afridi has no doubt made all Pushtoons proud. From experience I can tell you that my non-Pushtoon friends actually came to me after the Pakistan India match and said, “Khan Sahib, Afridi ne aaj anteha kardi. Kiya batting thee. Manthy hain, hamaaray Pakhtoon bhai mein bahot zoor hai. Aaj hum ney maanliya, Pakhtoon mein bee dum hain”. I laughed and told them. Took you some time to realize. Oh well, better late then never”.

In the end I would say what the writer of the original article said “We cannot help but wish the best for our 5ft 11 handsome Pakhtun brother. Keep it up Afridi, so we can raise our heads proudly.”
    What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family. Mother Theresa

Afridi has no doubt made all Pushtoons proud. From experience I can tell you that my non-Pushtoon friends actually came to me after the Pakistan India match and said, “Khan Sahib, Afridi ne aaj anteha kardi. Kiya batting thee. Manthy hain, hamaaray Pakhtoon bhai mein bahot zoor hai. Aaj hum ney maanliya, Pakhtoon mein bee dum hain”. I laughed and told them. Took you some time to realize. Oh well, better late then never”.
    Awad Khan, please tell your friend not to call me "khan Sahib" otherwise they will be in a big trouble.

I dont know but somehow I would always fight for Afridi. I considered his mere presence in the team is more than enough. He is a kind of player who can be used anytime and at any position. He can bat, he can bowl, he can field, particularly his batting. I dont know why our team captains restrict him to a particular position. He may be sent for batting between 10 and 20 overs. In such a critical situation, the opponent captain may not excercise the power play which may prove to be disastrous in the later stage. And if he exercises, Afridi knows how to utilize that.
    I also dont support asking Afridi to exercise restrain. He only looks good with those sixes no matter if he is out. I like his swinging of bat whether ball is hit or otherwise, is a separate story.

Well-done Afridi, we hope you go for some big sixes in the Wold Cup. Though I am not sure if I will be able to watch these matches.
    Last edited by Khan Baba; 03-02-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    "Pa Jahan da Nangyaali wee daa duwa kara
    Ya ba ukhree kakaray ya ba kamran shee"

Khan Baba da os ya lag Kesmat wro wro kam sho

zka chay Aday (Mor ) ya wafat shway da ...

Aga da moor dawa ba wa da haray Chakay Rosta
    Mamut Achakzi Pragdam da Sta da.......

Dade poora quom myande da Afrid myande dee kana. hagha sara da toal quom duwagane dee. Allah de moar obakhee.

Gora wartha ka khair wee, pa world cup ke, ka da chako boore ye darla dakka na ke no zama nom badal ka

I don't really know what to say about boom boom afridi. he is powerfull player and its being always pleasure watching afridi's big powerfull hittings. though i have to say his style is different full of drama. when he is facing the ball i always close my eyes and ears , i can't help it.
    its really a shame we will miss him in the opening world cup match against west indies.

once in sharjah cup when a pakistani tv reporter ask shahid afridi how he feel after making half century in final match ,he also ask afridi to answer in pashtu if he want but the proud pakistani/shahid decide to answer him in urdu.

and our pashtun are still proud of him.

i find younus khan a good pashtun when in interview he spacailly thanks pashtun fans for his supports in pashtu.
    i hope and wish oneday we will have team of indepedent pakhtunkhwa inshalah.
    Last edited by farzad khan Armani; 03-04-2007 at 11:36 AM.
    farsi ka wai farsikhwan ba nashe
    urdu ka wai urdudan ba nashe
    pukhtuna kala pukhtu de prekhwa
    thotee ba she ihkle zaban ba nashe

,,loy pukhtunkhwa da tolo pakhtanu rokhana sabawoon,,
    click here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-yQO...elated&search=

hahaha,
    One of my colleagues really hates Afridi, but in the last series against West Indies, he left the room soon after Afridi was out. I mean to say even the ardent opposers of Afridi, like his style of batting, particularly when he swings his bat, simple love it.

as a player yes he is good entertainer .
    but not proud of his language pashtu .
    he can be good friend of punjabi then pashtun.
    farsi ka wai farsikhwan ba nashe
    urdu ka wai urdudan ba nashe
    pukhtuna kala pukhtu de prekhwa
    thotee ba she ihkle zaban ba nashe

,,loy pukhtunkhwa da tolo pakhtanu rokhana sabawoon,,
    click here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-yQO...elated&search=

zalima hagha kho hasse hum kala bahar aw kala danna wee, Younus Khan can afford this. Somehow, I think our Pukhtun brothers in the cricket are not very helpful to each other. I have noticed even Younus Khan when he was acting as Captain and there was clear opportunity for Omar Gul to take wickets particularly of those tail-enders, but Younus Khan preferred Abul Razaq instead.
    So please dont expect much from them. They are not diehard nationalist like you.

Thread Information